Thursday, June 4, 2009

IT'S FOODIE FRIDAY - DOWN HOME COOKING!!


Hello everyone, this is my first Foodie Friday. I want to thank http://designsbygolleen/ for having Foodie Friday. Stop by Design By Golleen to see all the interesting recipes!!!


Now a little about me before I start.

I am from Southern Indiana in the city of Evansville we are just across the river from Kentucky.
Being so close we have families in both states and because of that we have a lot of the same recipes with just a little difference in them. With me saying this I will say
the only thing I don't have in this country dinner is corn bread and that is a shame on me. hah, hah.

I hope you enjoy what I am fixing. Mr B loves this meal and will be happy with what I have fixed for him at the end.


Menu:
Turkey Patties,
Milk Turkey Gravy
Cook cabbage
Garlic Whipped Potatoes
Strawberry Shortcake with Cool Whip


These are all the ingredients you will use for your Down Home Country Dinner

These are the ingredients to make the cabbage.





I used Honeysuckle ground white all natural turkey. I added Wild tree rancher steak rub which was very good. You can use whatever spices you want. Pat them into patties.
I used Wild tree grapeseed oil for frying these patties



I cut the potatoes in quarters if they are big I will cut them smaller then I cover with
water and add salt. Boil for about 15 minutes or until you can put a fork through the
potatoes.


These ingredients and spices were added to this cabbage dish.
1 medium head of cabbage - cleaned
3 stalks of celery - diced medium
3/4 onion - Valida
10 carrots cubed
3 cut up strips of baccon
2 tsp garlic
2 cans chicken broth
1 TB grapeseed oil or canola oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme



Cooked Cabbage. This dish is one of my favorite dishes. I started this on med. high and then after it was boiling for 5 minutes I turned it down to med. low and let it cook for about 15 minutes and then I turned it down to low and kept it there to cook covered until all the veg.
were done and then some.


I fried Turkey patties in a electric skillet at 250 degree's I used grapseed oil but you can use whatever oil you perfer.
10 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of the patties. Mine or quite thick.
The grapeseed oil is not as heavy as other oils but it doesn't burn on high heat.
It gives a nice mild taste to the patties.



With the garlic Whipped potatoes I poured out the water and added 1/2 stick of butter,
salt and pepper to taste and 1 tsp garlic whip until lumps are out.
I then added half and half about a 1/2 cup and whipped it up again with a beater then I added milk until Iget the thickness I want. About Medium thickness.


Turkey Milk Gravy. It was to die for. I think it was the best I have made yet.
I took the drippings from the fry patties and added some unbleached flour and
butter along with salt and pepper then I put some half and half in and then milk
to thin out the thickness but not to much you want it to be a medium thick.




Cooked cabbage and Grampa Santos













Garlic Whipped potatoes with milk Turkey Gravy

A plate filled for a Queen ( that would be me

WE are just about ready to sit down and start our dinner
Mr. B could not join me, he is still at work.
woo check out those turkey patties with Grandma Santos keeping a eye on them.




I picked up these Strawberries at Sam's and I had to do something really fast
they were going bad. So I put some cane sugar on them and called it Strawberry
Shortcake





Yummy, Strawberry Shortcake with Cool Whip
Mr. B is very happy




Thank You for stopping by and having Dinner with me.
Click on and follow me to see what I will be doing next.

8 comments:

  1. This all looks absolutely delicious. My mother always used her electric skillet to prepare things as well-
    good memories.
    Come see me,
    Laura

    whitespraypaint.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this kind of meal. Yours looks delicious and I'm sure the entire family loved every morsel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOunds scrumptious! Glad you came by today. i hope you will follow and continue to visit as I look forward to popping in on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Hubs would love the cabbage, I am going to try it for him. The whole meal looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so good and sound healthy too....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh I hope there are leftovers....sounds yummy! I hope you had a happy Foodie Friday and are having a great weekend ~ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE strawberries... these look yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an absolute feast!! I love how you placed the tablecloth on the diagonal. My husband will thank you for this recipe for turkey milk gravy. His grammy used to make it, but we never got the recipe. Thanks so much!!
    XX 00

    ReplyDelete

LETS Chat

Powered By Blogger