Friday, April 10, 2009

The Big Feast "EASTER"


"Easter" going to church and thanking Jesus for forgiving all of us. Teaching the small children all about Jesus and what the true meaning of Easter is all about. Families joining together for a dinner and hiding the Easter egg's for the little one's to find.
Every year we have Easter at our house and invite our family to come and share in the fun. As my grandson puts it into his words it is the "BIG FEAST"
This year he asked me if I was going to cook kid food. I had to laugh and then proceeded in telling him yes we were having ham, mac-cheese, sweet corn, broccoli & cauliflower salad, slaw, green bean casserole, devil eggs and potato casserole. He made faces at the last five courses.
My daughters each bring a covered dish and candy to fill the Easter eggs, that the kids hunt for.
We put candy and money in them and we have one big egg that we put a $20.00 bill in. Then the hunt begins. Last year we had 140 eggs that we hid , there are 4 grandchildren that do the hunting. To say the least they made out like bandits.
It's so much fun watching the kids hunt and we get creative. We hide them in the tree's down a garden tube and in watering cans and so forth. We always have to count afterwards to make sure there are not any hiding in the grass, so that my husband "Darrell" won't mow over them when he cuts the grass. This is what I am cooking for the "FEAST"

The Menu

HAM
I will bake the ham at 325% degrees in my secret sauce. It contains 1 cup of brown sugar, 2 tsp dry mustard and one 160z can of coke.
I slit the top of the ham from side to side making a diamond shape. Then I pour the mixture over it and baste it every 25 minutes. This gives it a salty & sweet taste and makes it very moist.
Broccoli & cauliflower Salad
I cut the broccoli and cauliflower into tiny pieces, 1 small head each. I add 1 diced red onion, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup of real bacon bits I use Hormel, then I make up a dressing, a 1/4 cup of sugar or 6 pks of Equal, 1/4 cup of sour cream, 1/2 cup of miracle whip, 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar, salt and to taste. You mix it all up together and refrigerate to chill. (Hold the bacon bit's until your are ready to serve, so they won't get soggy).
Mac-Cheese
I boil some water in a pot and add salt and oil to the water. When the water boils I put my macaroni in it about 2 cups and boil for about 10 minutes, then I turn down the heat to simmer and put the lid on for about 10 minutes. I drain and rinse the macaroni. I then put about 1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 stick of butter into the pot and put the macaroni back into the pot. I then add cube square pieces of Velveeta cheese about 1 1/2 cups of cheese. Put the heat on medium low and just stir often until cheese is melted. My grand kids love this!!!
Deviled egg's
In a pot I put water and salt and 1 doz eggs. I bring to a boil and boil for about 7 minutes. Then I turn off the heat and cover the eggs and let them sit for about 5 minutes. Then I rinse them with a cold bath. ( This stops them from cooking), I cut the egg's long wise and carefully take the yolk out and put it into a mini chopper. After I get all the yolks in the chopper, ( your can smash them up by hand make sure no lumps).I put in 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoon's of milk, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and blend all this together. I then add 2 tablespoons of miracle whip and 1 teaspoon of dry mustard. keep adding miracle whip if it is to dry. Stuff into the egg. Cover and refrigerate. You may sprinkle with Paprika if so desire.
Oreo Banana Pudding
2 large box's of vanilla instance pudding. Mix in a bowl using pudding instructions that is on the box. 1 package of Ore's , You will crumble into pieces , 3 banana's
sliced, And cool whip. You will layer these starting with crumble cookies on the bottom, then a layer cool whip, then a layer of banana's then you will pour vanilla pudding over the top and then you will start over with the crumble cookies. On the very top you will put cool whip and some crumbled cookies with some cherries or jelly beans since it is Easter. This is Sooo good and a real crowed pleaser and it doesn't take that much time.
The rest of the food my daughters will bring and they have their own recipes that they have not disclosed to me. " We all have our secrets". I am very eager to try their recipes.
I am a very lucky mother to have all three of my daughters live in the same town as I do. And get to visit my grand kids as often as I like. I know there are other mothers that have to travel to see the children and grand kids so I thank God for giving me this wonderful gift and I pray to all the other mothers out there that they get to spend time with there children on Easter.
I am wishing you all a very nice Easter. Now just get out there and cook something!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LETS Chat

Powered By Blogger